1 . Make sure you have Microsoft Word on your computer before you ask for a file.
2. Also, most transcribers use free software called Express Scribe. This software enables you to pause your audio file, as well as slow down and speed up the audio to match your typing speed.
3. Log in to your account, click on "Edit Profile" and subscribe to mailing lists for all languages or specialties that you type.
4. Transcribers must proof their own files when finished typing. Even though we call our Assignors "Proofers", you should not reply on them to proof your files.
5. Each of your files will receive a star rating (1-5 stars). Your score is based on accuracy, quality, formatting, spelling and punctuation. Punctuality is also important. Typists with higher star ratings will be given priority when jobs are assigned. Typists submitting poor quality jobs will not be offered future assignments.
To log in and retrieve a file:
1 . Log in at https://typists.quicktate.com/ (from here you can type both iDictate and Quicktate files)
2. Your "Welcome Back" page will look like something this:
3. Contact an assignor (sometimes referred to as "Proofer") via "Chat with Admin" on your typist screen to request a file. You should also check the box entitled "I am available to type". The Proofers may then offer you a file if one is available. This check box stays checked for only 10 or 15 minutes, so you will need to re-check the box if you still want a file.
4. If there are 3 iDictate files being offered to you, you will see:
You have (3) iDictate job assignment(s) Click here to begin
5. A message will pop up with the expected TAT (turn-around-time) along with instructions on what to do if you don’t believe you are able to complete the file in a timely manner.
6. Click "Ok".
7. To download the audio, click Download (which is to the right of “File to be Transcribed”), which will appear as follows:
File to be Transcribed:
8. Then, select the appropriate Template from the drop down box.
Default Template is a blank Word document.
If the customer requested that we use a customized template, you will be able to select it from the drop-down list. In some cases the customized template will stand out.
In all cases you will select either the Default template or the customized template. It is common for a default template to be blank, so don't be confused if it is blank.
Template Name: __________
Download Template: __________
9. Click on the name of the template you selected. It will download the specially formatted Word document to your desktop.
You need to type into this Template (Word document) that you just downloaded. Do not change the file name, and do not type into your own MS Word document, as you will not be able to upload the completed file when you're done. Downloading a template from this page is essential.
10. Stay logged into your account while you type. This way you can be reached if necessary.
11. If you are logged out of your account while typing, Log back into your account and click Transcribe and the job you are working on will be there.
12. You will see:
No. of Words:
13. Upload your finished transcript and enter the number of words.
14. If you need help from a Proofer, even if you normally upload your own files, click Send Completed Document to Proofer:
Then, type a brief message to the Proofer in the text box. Do NOT paste your transcript into the text box.
15. Click “browse” under “Upload Transcript”, locate the completed document on your computer, enter the word count and click “Submit Transcript”.
Your file will then be sent to a Proofer for help, or to the customer, depending on your account privileges.
16. Make sure iDictate has a copy of the completed file before you delete the transcript from your computer (approximately 1 week).